is a Serbian playwright and director, best known for his theater plays and movie scripts.
Kovačević was born on July 12, 1948 in Mrđenovac, Serbia (Yugoslavia), graduated from a grammar school in Novi Sad, and received a Bachelor's degree in dramaturgy from the University of Belgrade in 1973.
Since 1973, Dushan Kovačević worked as a playwright at TV Belgrad.
Beginning from 1998, Kovačević worked as an Artistic Director of Zvezdara Teatar.
In 2003 he directed his first movie, The Professional.
The comedies by Dushan Kovačević have been translated into 17 languages, but until the mid of 1990s his plays were not well known to Western audiences.
One of his plays, Balkan Spy was being rehearsed in Beijing at the time of Tiananmen Square protests.
Nowadays plays of this remarkable author are staged in Russia and the CIS.
Now is being prepared the staging of the play RADOVAN III by Dushan Kovačević in Kyiv Theater On the Left Bank of Dnieper.
Dušan Kovačević is a member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
- Radovan Treći - Radovan III (1973)
- Maratonci trče počasni krug - The Marathon Runners Run a Victory Lap (1973)
- Sabirni centar - The Gathering Place (1982)
- Balkanski špijun - Balkan Spy (1982)
- Sveti Georgije ubiva aždahu - St. George Shoots the Dragon (1984)
- Klaustofobična Komedija - Claustrophobic Comedy (1987)
- Profesionalac - The Professional (1990)
- Urnebesna Tragedija - Roaring Tragedy (also translated as Tragedy Burlesque; 1990)
- Lari Tompson, tragedija jedne mladosti - Larry Thompson, the Tragedy of a Youth (1996)
- Kontejner sa Pet Zvezdica - Five-Star Dumpster (1999)
- Doktor Šuster - Doctor Shoemaker (2001)
- Generalna proba samoubstiva - Dress Rehearsal for a Suicide (2009)
- Život u tesnim cipelama - Life in tight shoes (2011)
- Kumovi - Godfathers (2013)